Thursday 29 May 2014

Progress.

When it came to the final projects, I was taking on major roles in two ambitious films. There was obviously a lot of responsibility on myself when it came to the drama I was working on, Beaulieu, because there was only two of us involved it meant that we had to make sure that we were managing to cover all the work that another person would normally take on. We were managing to make it work very well mainly because both of us understood that we were taking on a huge task, whilst working in the smallest team either of us had been part of.

Whilst we were making good progress on our film, we were both involved in another project; Love in Your Pocket. This project was a documentary about dating apps for smart phones that I would be directing. The team for this project was considerably larger than the team for Beaulieu, with around 8 people being involved. I felt that after the Christmas break progress on this project didn't move as quickly as I had anticipated. As I was directing and Elliott would be camera operator for the project the two of us spent time researching how similar documentaries were filmed so that we would be prepared for when filming would start.

I don't want to pin blame, but there were a few member of the team that were involved with a studio project that would be filming in mid-March. From my point of view it seemed that they were waiting for that project to be over with before focusing on Love in Your Pocket. There had been some progress made on the project but the speed definitely picked up once their other project was finished, and from my point of view I felt that they weren't appreciating that just because they were now focusing on one project we, and other members of the team, were still focusing on two. This did lead to few arguments and people's investment in the project being questioned but after I explained how we felt it was quickly sorted out.

What I learnt from this is that having more people in your team doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to be easier, as I felt the work I was doing on the two man team was a lot less hassle than it was working with a bigger team. I think the main thing that helps make everything easier is communication and making sure everyone understands the attitude the crew should be taking to the production. Myself and Elliott knew that were doing things differently to everything we'd been taught over the past 3 years, but because we were both on the same page there was never any problems. A big problem I had with Hannah, the producer of Love in Your Pocket, was that I didn't know how involved she wanted me to be with content, considering that she had an assistant producer, who I assumed would be helping her get it covered. After we discussed this I became more involved, but I feel like if that had been addressed from the beginning then progress on the project would have moved faster and would have been easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment